Friday, January 16, 2009

TOU-D-1 vs. TOU-D-2 -- Looking for clarity..

Hi Folks-- This time, I'm writing in the hopes that someone in the community would be able to shine some light on an area where I'm a bit confused.

I'm working towards getting onto the net-metering arrangement, and while I'm going down that road, I figure that to get the biggest bang for my buck, I should be switching to a TOU (time of use) plan too. I've received the information from SCE, and they've got two different TOU schedules (1 and 2).

It seems that the differences are the rates for kWh's and the meter charges. The actual costs for the kWh are lower for D-2, but the meter charges are a bit more.

From my non-methodical observation unless we're really running a ton of stuff, during the sunlight hours, my meter is running backwards, that tells me that I'm creating a surplus of energy which could be better utilized if I went TOU.

The issue I'm having now is which TOU plan do I want to go with? I'm leaning towards the D-2 since it's less expensive kWh wise. I guess it's a risk/reward game. I see that once I change to TOU I can opt out, but then I need to wait 12 months before making another choice.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

1 comment:

HeaAndrews said...

I believe the difference in the plans are the amount of kWh usage that a residence, on average, uses. The D1 meters are for residences using between 400 and 600 kWh and the D2 are for residences using 600+ kWh. The D2 plan might not be economical unless you are above the 600 kWh requirement. I think this is how it works.