Friday, November 21, 2008

It's ALIVE!!!!

Well, I know it's been a long time and coming, but things have been crazy busy for me at the office so I haven't had much free-time to update all of you on my progress.

They turned the system on a little over a week ago, and things are running pretty well so far.  Having a issue with their SolarGuard monitoring system communicating (wirelessly) with the inverter, but the system itself is running great. I suspect it may be due to the excess of electrical and wireless devices I have around the house causing interference.

From last Sunday to this afternoon I've generated just under 100kWh of electricity. Basically durning the day while the sun is shining, my meter is running backwards, what a great thing.  So far, the highest production I've witnessed is around 2600W's, from the system size and the 70% rules from DC to AC I suspect that it could get up to about 2800 but I haven't seen it yet.

Once the SolarGuard is functioning properly I'll try to put some graphs up to show the production levels, so far so good!  I'll update again soon!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being up and running!

Your SolarGuard issue may not be interference. Ours also didn't work at first, and the same thing happened to some friends. We pretty much ruled out the interference issue by using a 25 foot ethernet cable to move the gateway (the pod hooked up to your network) to a location far from any electronics. It didn't fix the problem. In both cases, it turned out to be a hardware problem with the "bridge" - the part that is inside the inverter. SolarCity had someone come out to replace that part, and everything worked.

If you have access to a long Ethernet cable, it is worth doing this experiment. If you rule out interference, it gets you past all the initial questions that SC will ask you, and gets someone out to your house to fix it.

Our gateway is under my desk in my home office. On and under the desk are a DSL modem, a router, a network switch, a wireless access point, a computer, an external hard drive, a UPS battery backup, a monitor, a printer, a scanner, a telephone, speakers, a small TV, and a digital converter box. Amidst all these electronics, the gateway has no problem getting signal and data from the inverter, even with the inverter on the opposite side of the house. So I think there is a good chance that interference is not your problem.

solar-curious said...

Kyselina665--

Great idea. I had a long ethernet cable, I just plugged it in and put the gateway a window very close to the inverter. I'll see if that makes a difference.

They've already had someone out here at the house once, and they said that everything was good to go, obviously it wasn't. :)

I'll let you know.

Thanks again!
-paul